The Western Wall or Wailing Wall (in Hebrew Ha-Kotel Ha-Maʿaravi) is the remnant of the second Temple destroyed by the Romans in the 70 CE. It is 20 meters high and it spreads over 50 meters.
The Temple was edited on the highest point of the Mount Moriah in the first century BCE under King Herod and it would be built by the priests in few years. The original project contemplated the construction of the Temple Mount with an extension of almost 488 meters in width and 275 meters in wideness, with a highness of approximately 30 meters, surrounded by very solid walls.
In the 70 CE the Roman legions destroyed completely the Temple and what remains today is the Kotel that is a 488 meters wall situated in the western side of the Temple Mount.
Since two thousand years the Western Wall or Wailing Wall is the spiritual center of the Jewish world and this unique place, where the First and the Second Temple were located, is visited every year by thousand visitors of all faiths.
A tunnel connects the Kotel to the North area where the Holy of Holies (Kodesh Hakodashim) was located, place where there was the Tabernacle, the most holy place for the Jews and the most central part of the Temple, where only the Cohen Gadol could have access during Yom Kippur festival.
Starting from the 1500 the Ottoman empire took the land of Israel welcoming all the Jews who were expelled from the Spain on 1492 and building a wall around the old city of Jerusalem. When the British empire took the control of the area on 1917, Jews were allowed to pray at the Kotel but during the Israeli Arab war, all the area around the Wailing Wall was conquered by the Jordan Arab legion that did not allow to the Jews any access to the Kotel. Only after the six days war Israel got the possession of the Western Wall after two thousand years, building a big square in the area in front of the Kotel.
Today the Kotel is one of the most visited places in the world with million of visitors coming from all over the world.