Nahariya is the northernmost coastal city of Israel. It is located between Akko and Rosh Hanikra, with the river Ga’aton flowing across it. It’s no secret that the northern coastal towns of the State of Israel are the most beautiful. Hence the city of Nahariya is one of the most beautiful places in the country.
The origin of the name Nahariya comes from the Ga’aton river (in Hebrew river is Nahar), which crosses the city. Some claim that before establishing Israel’s state, the first settlers saw the Ga’aton as a river (Nahar), and some others would assert that its name was due to the nearby Arab village a-Nahar. Besides the river, which has become the city’s symbol, there are spectacular beaches, archaeological sites, city parks, shopping complexes and much more. Hence, on a trip to Nahariya, you can easily find everything!
The Beaches Of Nahariya
In Nahariya, the beaches own lifeguard services during the bathing season, so every visit to beaches of Nahariya is a guaranteed pleasure. The most notable beaches are:
- Gali Galil Beach is one of the cleanest and most well-kept beaches in Israel. The beach is accessible and suitable for wheelchair users and parents arriving with a toddler in a stroller, apart from the well-known beach facilities such as sheds, playgrounds, and much more. There are fee-paying swimming pools in the summertime, accessible to the residents and visitors to the city.
- Sokolov Beach is located on the edge of the city promenade. It offers a functional training complex with stunning sea views, free barbecues, and various places to sit and relax. There is also a lively and entertaining complex of bars and restaurants.
- Shirat Hayam Beach is for the religious public and a separate beach for men and women. The beach is located in the northern part of the city promenade. Bathing days for women: Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Bathing days for men: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Like all the coastal cities, Nahariya also offers a variety of hotels. The most in-demand and desirable are, of course, the ones with the sea view. You can find large hotels with spa services, boutique hotels, and holiday apartments with a wide range of prices. They can be right on the sea or around the city, for every need and budget, of course.
Tourist Activities In Nahariya
The city of Nahariya has many years of history. To learn about it in the best way, it is recommended to visit the city’s archaeological sites. The archaeological sites of Nahariya, contain remains of a temple from the Middle Bronze and Late Bronze Ages. Besides archaeology, you can find other historical places in this beautiful and unique city.
The most notable tourist sites are:
- The Leiberman House is an 1860s house, and it displays the early years of the city in the period of the first settlements of the German Jews, who fled from Germany. German and European immigrants built small industries and businesses. In the house-museum, you will find a collection of historical photos and documents of Israel’s pioneers.
- The Byzantine Church is a church with an impressive mosaic floor portraying colourful birds, plants and working-hunting scenarios. It was supposed to be a magnificent and monumental church.
- Nahariya Water Tower is an art gallery surrounded by stunning gardens. One of the first buildings of the city providing water to Nahariya. Once it was a communication and observation station. It is also a venue for cultural and musical events.
- The Botanical and Zoological Garden hosts indigenous fauna and flora. There are a reptile house and a petting zoo hosting coatis, pelicans, giant deer, and local animals.
- Canaanite Temple Ruins might have been a pagan temple dating back to 1500 B.C. and devoted to Astarte-Asherath, the Canaanite goddess of the sea. Access to the archaeological area is free.
Nahariya For Families
- Gil Park for all ages is a park designed for children with green lawns, sheds, and playgrounds, as well as the ‘adventure park’ in the southern part of the promenade with a climbing wall, rope carousel, and a variety of surprises, are just examples of the many attractions waiting. Even outside the city, there is a lot to see.
- Rosh HaNikra is at less than 15-minute drive to the north of Nahariya, and it is one of the most beautiful tourist sites of the State of Israel. Its many attractions include a cable car ride, bicycles and electric vehicles, an amazing sonic light show, and the spectacular caves. A visit to Rosh Hanikra is a pretty enjoyable trip.
- Akko or Acre is about 15-minute drive to the south. With the famous harbour, colourful market, and glorious history alongside an exciting and young atmosphere. The city of Acre offers a variety of activities and walks. On a trip to Nahariya and the surrounding area, having fun is guaranteed for everyone. Have a nice trip!